Life/ blog realisation #293494: the more is happening in my life, the less likely I am to take pictures of said happenings. So while I could technically post a recap of the time between my move on Wednesday and today there are zero photos to document it. How else to join the marvelousness over at Katie’s? Surveys to the rescue!
The perfect occasion for a no-brainer topic everybody considers marvelous and likes to talk about: food. I snagged this epic survey from Amanda – thanks! – and will also follow her lead in breaking it up into two
servings parts. Expect the second part soon but first parts first so here it goes!
1) Flavour-wise, do you prefer white breads or whole wheat?
Growing up on whole grain breads from a local organic bakery these will forever be my favourite. I’m picky, though: it has to be the kind laden with seeds.
2) What’s your favorite type of grain to eat (oatmeal, bread, wraps, etc)?:
Even though I usually struggle with naming favourites this one is clear: oats. They’re one of the most versatile grains ever: in various forms – rolled, steel-cut or [my favourite] oat bran – for breakfast, rotis/ lolis as a side for curries and oat flour in gluten-free baked goods like these incredible brownies.
3) What’s your favorite sandwich filling?
I’ll have to pass on this one: no sandwiches for me.
4) What’s your favorite kind of bread?
Like I mentioned above: the delightfully doughy pumpkin/ sunflower/ flax seed-studded loaves my mum buys.
5) Around how many servings of grain do you consume daily?
This is tricky to answer. Not because I don’t eat grains – heck do I! – but as serving sizes confuse me. Adhering to pre-defined standard serving sizes doesn’t work for me. Some days I’ll need more than those, some days they fit my appetite. What I can say, though, is that grains are a key part of my daily meals.
6) What’s your favorite cracker-topping?
You’re supposed to top crackers?! We’ve never done that in my family.
7) What’s your favorite thing to do with rice?
Sweet: rice pudding. At best prepared by my mum using the ‘in-bed method’. Does anybody else’s mum do the same? ?
Savoury: either burrito bowls or some kind of casserole.
8) What brand of bread do you usually buy?
I buy bread once in a blue moon and preferably from local organic bakeries. Once, though, I was lucky to get a taste of the famous life-changing loaf of bread my sister had baked. It really is amazing,
9) What’s your favorite type of cereal?
Boring but the only one I regularly buy is unsweetened puffed amaranth. It’s delicious both plain and in place of bread crumbs in savoury dishes. The scarce choice of ‘healthy’ cereals we get over here doesn’t even closely compare to all brands available overseas.
10) What was your favorite type of breakfast cereal as a child?
Crunchy granola with chocolate chunks.
1) Favorite fruit?
As with all those ‘favourites': Tough question. I’ll go with most-eaten instead and say apples.
2) Least favorite type of fruit?
Papaya. It’s ridiculously expensive and tastes like nothing. Not a fair trade.
3) Do you drink fruit juice often?
4) Do you consider tomatoes a fruit, or a vegetable?
I know it’s technically a fruit but in my mind it will always be a vegetable. And as long as supermarkets keep stocking it in the vegetable section I’ll feel proven right. (:
5) Do you think you eat enough fruit daily?:
Absolutely, yes. Maybe too much because moderation does -not- exist when it comes to fruit.
6) Do you consider fruit more important than vegetables?
Not more important but sweeter so I’m more likely to eat [lots of] it. Sweet tooth right here.
7) What’s your favorite citrus fruit?
8) Do you like pastries with fruit in them?
Hm, I’m trying to remember if I ever had a fruit pastry before. But if we’re talking crumbles than yes to those with fruit.
9) What’s your favorite flavour of jam?
Cherry -and- strawberry. At best made by my grandma but I’ve found a good brand as a replacement, too.
10) When do you usually eat the most fruit (breakfast, snack, etc)?:.
I’m snacking on fruit all throughout the day.
1) When you were a kid, did you like vegetables?:
It was a tie. Neither was I the pickiest nor the most daring eater. Actually, I think I’ll ask my mum later to hear how she’d rated me there. Fingers crossed for an answer in my favour ;).
2) Do you think you eat enough vegetables now?:
Some days I could do better but for the most part: yes.
3) What’s your favorite raw vegetable?:
Carrots. But only organic ones that I’ve found to be naturally sweeter than their non-organic counterparts.
4) What’s your favorite cooked vegetable?:
Kabocha. Too bad it’s the vegetable with the shortest season over here. Just steamed and plain it’s perfection. No roasting or seasonings for me.
5) What’s your least favorite raw vegetable?:
Kohlrabi. You will not see me eat that. As a child I saw other kids snack on it and was so glad my mum never tucked it into my lunch box. Which means my children will probably be kohlrabi despisers, too.
6) What’s your least favorite cooked vegetable?:
Beets. Unfortunately because they’re super healthy and I really like their gorgeous colour but: no.
7) What’s your favorite kind of salad?
On the rare occasion I eat salad I’ll use spinach or a store-bought salad mix as a base. But you know I’m more partial to grain salads..
8) Do you buy spaghetti sauce, or do you make your own?
Always homemade. I can see how it might be handy to use store-bought when short on time but Germany most definitely doesn’t boast sketchy-ingredient-free varieties. When I was still living at home my mum would occasionally buy some organic vegan bolognese sauce at the health food store for me when the rest of the family had her homemade non-vegetarian meat sauce.
9) When/if you order a sub at subway or mr. sub, what vegetables do you get on it?:
Ironically, I used to work at Subway but never ate there. The town I grew up in didn’t have Subway so I never had it prior to going vegetarian, either.
10) Do you like vegetables more than fruit?
Generally no. Unless you asked me during kabocha season which happens to be right now…
Happiness-inducing today: Another very big hug from my grandpa. This one doesn’t get old.
Stay in touch!
Bloglovin’: Let’s get living
Tell me …
What’s your favourite grain?
Around how many servings of grain do you consume daily?
Favourite fruit? Least favourite fruit?
Do you like vegetables more than fruit?