If it wasn’t for Davida’s Valentine’s Day Bake-Off I may or may not have pretended today was like any other ordinary Friday. Given how many other bloggers will address the fact that it’s the day of love [okay, I kind of did yesterday, too] you might not even have noticed. Or maybe I’m making things up here. I’ll have to admit I’ve never given Valentine’s Day too much of a thought – it would still catch me by surprise every year if it wasn’t for giant advertisements all around the blog and ‘real’ world.
Simply because I’m a member of a family where Valentine’s Day has always been considered a consumeristic holiday made up by the chocolate and florist industry. Thanks to my parents for not making me appreciate it ;). While I still can’t get all excited about the day itself by now I can get excited about desserts. More specifically: single-serving desserts. Technically, yes, this makes two single-servings. But it could also serve you, times two. Why not?!
After seeing everybody else’s creations for the Bake-Off so far and knowing the day-dreaming around desserts I’d done before posting this: no, it’s not a real dessert. More like the well-behaved little sister of the sugar-filled amazingness around. Yes, I like sugar. Long story short: this crumble is perfect for when you want to double-dessert – not to be confused with double-dating. My idea of the former is: having my chocolate as the more indulgent ‘real’ dessert and these as a healthier treat. Bingo!
Rummaging through my mum’s cupboards for decorating materials I came up with those adorable homemade pompons and several tea lights in just the right colours. I know I’ll miss these secret hidden gems once I’m back at my apartment.
Calling these “Peanut Butter & Jelly” might be a bit of a stretch. But can you really blame me considering anything that combines some kind of berries and peanut butter a PB & J anything? I’m German after all :D.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Crumble
The “Jelly” part:
- 1.25 cups [180 g] frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 tbsp honey [for vegan option see below*]
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- Add the thawed strawberries to a small pot with the honey and let melt together on medium heat, stirring occasionally. The honey will make the mixture thicken without the need of any additional thickening agent.
- Stir in the vanilla and divide the mixture into two single-serving ramekins.
- ¼ cup [30 g] of peanut flour
- 1 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- about 1/4 of a small banana, not too ripe
- Salt [to taste - amount depending on your preference]
- Mix the peanut flour, oats and salt.
- Stir in the peanut butter and knead in the banana to for crumbles.
- Top the strawberry mixture with the crumbles and bake for 15 minutes at 320 °F/160 °C.
- Serve with a dollop of soy yogurt, [vegan] whipped cream or ice cream.
*Note: To turn this into a vegan dish you may sub maple syrup or brown rice syrup [stickier] for the honey.
For breakfast, a snack or at whichever time you’re feeling like a sweet little something: There’s really no wrong way to eat a crumble. Did I mention these reheat well, too? Only there might be nothing left to reheat.
Happiness inducing today: Working on the puzzle with my mum and a walk.
Stay in touch!
What’s your favourite single-serving dessert? Leave a link if you know of any awesome recipes worth trying.
Are you a fan of double-desserting, too?