Two posts in one day?! As mentioned in this week’s What I ate Wednesday post not all of my recent recipe trials failed so without further ado here’s a really good one.
If you’ve been reading my blog for a while already you’ll know I’m a planner. Not just when it comes to organizing my daily activites but also when creating recipes. Surprisingly, though, some of the best recipes I came up with so far are those that were sparked by a random craving, adding a little of this and that along the way and sitting down to a plate of deliciousness.
That’s just what happened one more this time. I’d picked up a package of precooked udon at the stores ages ago already only to let them sit in the pantry for too long. Once more it was labelling this ‘white pasta’ as unhealthy that kept me from giving it a try earlier. In the end, though, my longing for noodles [somehow ‘pasta’ doesn’t sound right for udon] won and I’m glad it did.
My inspiration for this dish was the classic egg-fried rice and once more silken tofu worked its magic creating the vegan ‘eggyness’ with chickpeas lending a unique texture and taste. Simple, quick, delicious.
- 1 small head bok choy, sliced thinly
- 150 g broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¾ package fresh Udon noodles [150 g/5.4 oz]
- ¼ package silken tofu (3 oz), mashed with ½ tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp nooch
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsps chickpeas, divided
- Sauté the brokkoli and garlic in a small pot for about 3-4 minutes. Add the bok choy and let it wilt.
- Meanwhile, mash the silken tofu, chickpeas and turmeric. It should still remain a slightly chunkier texture. Add to the vegetables and stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add the smoked paprika, nutritional yeast and remaining chickpeas.
- Mix in the udon noodles and let them warm through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
I’m linking up with Kierston’s Recipe Friday.
Happiness inducing today: Sunshine despite it being a cold day.
Udon: pasta or noodles?
What’s your favourite way to use udon?
Do you have any plans for the weekend?