Hi everybody! Did you have a good weekend and – most importantly – stay warm? Moving to the countryside for me also meant moving to an even colder climate [sorry but it’s true]. I guess you can’t [always] have a beautiful surrounding and warm temperatures but that’s okay – for now [ask me again once it gets really cold ;)]. Bringing on the marvelous again for a great start into the week with our lovely host Katie.
Our Sunday included a family walk that – unlike that previous one – was cut short because in the end even my dad [ha!] had to admit the wind was damn cold. Hence why I’m sorry to admit I didn’t take too many pictures because I was more concered with braving the wind and debating the right choice of topic for such a cold weather walk with my dad. Kidding. We weren’t talking just about that, but yes, I had to make it a point that the wind feels even colder if you keep saying it does. Don’t you agree?! [Yes, you do, in case you were seriously pondering ;).]
What could be more marvelous than returning to your place after a walk in the cold and enjoying a cup of tea and a piece of cake. Though … a piece of cake? How about a mug of cake? Waste not want not it’s a great single-serving way to have your cake and eat it, too. I figure I could have offered some to my parents yesterday, too. When my father was rummaging the pantry when he no
You’ll notice that it’s a small serving size and that’s because a) I like to make small batches of anything when trying it for the first time and b) I never eat just a mug cake as a snack. Always topped with almond butter and a side of whatever else I feel like [fruit, chocolate, …].
Chocolate Gingerbread Mug Cake
- 1/4 scoop (5 g) vanilla protein powder*
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp granulated sweetener (I used a German brand of vanilla stevia that comes in sticks equal to 1 tsp of sweetener)
- 1/2 tsp of Gingerbread spice [Germans: I higly recommend this one!]
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbsps of applesauce
- 5 tbsps of non-dairy milk
- Mix dry ingredients in a mug.
- Add in applesauce and water. Stir to form a batter. It shouldn’t be too ‘dry’ but neither runny. Using SunWarrior protein powder I’ve found five to six tablespoons of milk to work best.
- Microwave on high for 1.5 minutes.
* I know 1/4 scoop is a tiny measurement but I’ve found I don’t tolerate larger amounts of protein powder well. You could always play around with the rations in the recipe but I like to go the save-for-me route.
Rumor has it that chocolate chips are a great addition to this. Not like I knew from experience …
Now go and
bake microwave yourself a cake to celebrate … Monday?! Or yourself because you’re worth it no matter which day.
What is your favourite mug cake recipe? Please share it in the comments – I’m all up for trying new creations!
Favourite way to stay warm on cold days?