Hi there and let’s get random!
If you’re a regular reader of Amanda’s blog Thinking out loud will ring a bell for you. Amanda had the great idea of turning her random thought posts into a link-up for all of us. Randomness all around? I’m in!
1. Scented candles! I need them in my life especially during the colder months but it had been a while since my last one. That’s because I’m very picky when it comes to which ones I like. Surprisingly enough I don’t find a higher price to automatically guarantee a great scent. In fact, one of my favourites is the Vanilla ice cream scented Tindra candle. Yet I haven’t been to IKEA in a while and there’s no one close by where we live so I’d been on my hunt for a similar one for months. I’m happy to say I was lucky earlier this week. Needless to say my kitchen/living room is a vanilla heaven now.
2. I’d generally consider myself a polite and well-behaved person keeping the public swearing to a minimum. Unless I’m in car, that is. Now that I’m commuting to work every day the amount of swearing has increased by a lot. Believe me: it’s a good thing I’m alone in the car and everybody’s driving with closed windows during these months ;). And on the upside I’m convinced swearing’s a good way of releasing stress.
3. The roses in the basket above are handmade by my sister. She actually crafted them for her wedding and left them at my parents so I couldn’t resist using them for decorating purposes.
4. A good chunk of my daily swearing in the car happens in parking grounds. Why, yes, I’m a
walking driving (?) cliché. Women can’t park? I’ll admit it’s true for me in many situations. But you’d understand why if you’d seen the parking area in front of our editorial office. That’s likely the one part of my internship that I absolutely despise.
5. Confession: Everybody’s been raving about Lorde’s Royals for ages yet I somehow never got into it. Sometimes it takes me a while to really like a song. Many commutes to work later it’s probably not my favourite song but definitely turn up the volume when radio stations play it.
6. Talking about music: Will you believe I still listened to my September playlist until just a week or so ago? I have no explanation for this one other than that I a) still enjoyed the songs for the most part and b) was too lazy to set up a new one. With a little more inspiration thanks to listening to the radio regularly again it was time to start all over and change up my tunes.
7. Guess whom I met today? Santa Claus! Okay, maybe not the real one – because there is a real one, right?! – but one of his earthly representatives who’s going to bestow children in several families on Christmas Eve. The reason is an article I’m currently working on for the newspaper and I feel it’s going to be a cute one.
8. In case you’re wondering about why he’s bringing gifts on Christmas Eve already: That’s when we celebrate over here. During my childhood Santa rang the bell after we’d had dinner on 24th stepping in with a bag of gifts. Before handing them out Santa let us know our good and bad habits from the past year – and then it was time for our little ‘show’. Each child had to sing a song, recite a poem or – that’s why I did several times – play the flute. Yes, we were a little scared if Santa would bring to light all of our naughyness from the part year. But luckily he apparently didn’t have his eyes everywhere as my parents would try to make us believe. That was a close shave ;).
9. Meeting Santa got me thinking – and yes, out loud – about my own experiences and the moment when I stopped believing in him. [Oh, woops, I hope no children are reading – in that case I’m sorry for spilling the beans 🙂 !] For me, I think [but can’t say for sure] it was that year when I noticed Santa’s voice was very similar to my mum’s. She, her siblings and my grandpa took turns in playing Santa. It looks like he had a lot of representatives on earth, don’t you think?!
10. Happy Thursday! [stealing this one from Amanda because I couldn’t end on an uneven number and would have said it in anyway.]
Happiness inducing today: My first research meeting for another article I’m writing on a topic I’d meant to dare working on for almost a year.
Do you still remember the moment you found out Santa wasn’t real?
Are you good at parking? Dríving is no trouble for me – if only it wasn’t for those narrow parking spots …
Which is your favourite scented candle?