Confession: I started compiling randomness for this post days ago already in anticipation for another round of Thinking out loud. It’s late already as I’m finally able to use the internet so let’s dive straight into the randomness. Not before saying thanks to our host Amanda, though: Thank you, girl!
1. My family’s taking turns in where we gather to celebrate Christmas. This year we’ll be at my grandparents’ again. If it’s the same for you here’s a reminder of what to expect and get excited already:
2. Oh, and if in addition you’re single during the holidays? Even better (apparently). [Note Julie from PB Fingers making an appearance!]
3. How about fried cookie dough balls for dinner? It might have actually happened around here on Thursday night. I’d prepared another batch of dough for Traumstücke and stuck it into my parents’ fridge to chill when leaving for an appointment. My mum wasn’t at home when my dad returned from work in the evening ravenous so he figured she’d left him dinner in the fridge. Seeing as my mum had prepared a giant amount of seitan the days before he assumed that would be what was in the mixing bowl. Luckily, he somehow got distracted from actually diving into the cookie dough bowl. Gingerbread-flavoured seitan? Interesting …
4. Call me a moon watcher. No matter how often I’ve seen it already full moon draws me in each time anew. We’ve had it for the past few days and it already had me almost stumble over a rock lying on the side of the path leading up to our house. Just because I had my head in the stars was watching the moon. But wouldn’t you take every peek at it you can get, too?
5. That being said: Any ideas on how to use this little gem I picked up at the market last week?
6. While I’d noticed the days before that next Friday would be the 13th I’d completely forgotten upon waking up the day itself. It wasn’t until turning on the radio in the car that I was reminded of the fact again. [Side note: Does anybody else get just a little annoyed by radio presenters needing to stress these kind of ‘special’ days just about every 30 minutes? Why not just celebrate another occasion to say TGIF!?]
7. It’s almost too simple to call it a recipe. But I figured I’d include the Celeriac Apple Stew/Mash mentioned in this week’s WIAW post for a little strange but good action. Given it’s randomness I hadn’t originally intented to post so my measurements aren’t totally exact. Aren’t recipes just guidelines in anyway? Preparation: Sauté the onion in a small pot. Add celeriac and almond milk, cook until soft. Blend mixing in the spices. Return to the stove and add kale and mushrooms. Let cook until kale is wilted and mushrooms are soft. Stir in apple sauce, kidney beans and chopped apple to warm through. I topped mine with a dollop of soy yogurt.
- ¼ small celeriac root
- ¼ small onion, chopped
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 handful of kale, sliced into thin strips
- 2 mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup of kidney beans
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp hot curry powder
- 2 tbsps of unsweetened applesauce
- ½ small sweet apple, chopped
8. Not only am I a produce over-buyer but I get special produce anxiety, too. Never heard of that? Maybe because I made the term up. Do you ever buy a certain rare ingredient all excited to use it – only to end up letting it sit around for ages. At worst going bad just because you can’t decide on the one special enough recipe to use it in? That is what I’m calling special produce anxiety.
9. Only two more ‘mandatory’ Christmas gifts to buy! By Monday I was still unsure I’d finish my shopping in time [and announcing this might be knocking on wood …] but now that I’ve even gotten the hardest to buy for person on my list – my dad – covered I feel more relaxed. Fingers crossed my orders will arrive in time!
[Edited to add Rafflecopter was cheating on me so my giveaway is still open today. Sorry!]
10. Stealing a great idea from our host Amanda I added orange zest to my oat bran today. If only it was possible to get all of it from the grater … Any tips?
And with that I’m off to work again eating said breakfast while typing an article. Wherever you are right now:
Happiness inducing today: A friend doing me a favour.
Share some randomness with me:
Who’s the hardest person to buy for in your family? Did you already find a gift for that person this year?