Merry Christmas once more! I think it’s still apt to say on second Christmas day, right?
We just returned from my grandparents’ place hence why I had part of this post pre-written before we left in case you’re wondering about the mix of pre- and post-Christmas ponderings. Expect more detailed Christmas posts during the next days. Now here’s for some Thinking out loud thanks to Amanda!
1. Does anybody else fall into the ‘post-Christmas blues’ or – to say it less dramatical – feel like there should be at least a third or fourth day of celebration added? The anticipation of a whole month of festive atmosphere – and then all of it is over in the blink of an eye. It’s obviously the same every year but I just can’t get used to it. “Finish on a high note.” – I never liked that idea. Especially not when it meant leaving people I love too early again 😦 .
2. Just to rebel a little I won’t be taking down my decorations all that soon. It’s nice to show Santa some respect for all the hard work he’s done the past days for a bit longer, don’t you think 😉
3. When unpacking some gifts that I’d ordered shortly before leaving for our relatives’ place I spotted this little guy. If there’s any better sign of way too warm weather on Christmas Eve I don’t know it.
4. Almost as worse as a gift that doesn’t arrive in time is noticing just shortly before the celebration that a well-meant one doesn’t fit. Case in point: After Amanda reminding me of the Smartphone gloves in one of her previous Thinking out loud posts I’d ordered a pair each for my dad and sister as gifts. Only to try one on after opening said box above and … well … above scenario happening. Fits perfectly for my dad – whew! – but obviously not for my sister or me with our smaller hands. One size fits all? Definitely not, dear manufacturer!
5. Talking about the weather I’ll risk getting the stank eye but I was actually glad it was neither cold nor snowy. That’d have turned my favourite part of our family get-togethers a little rough. Want to know my favourite part? Our traditional beach walk. A necessity for every family get-together at my grandparents and an awesome time for long conversations and just an overall fun time with the whole family. Pictures to come for some Monday marvelousness.
6. Searching for last-minute Christmas dessert ideas I somehow came across this gem. Can we just take a short moment to talk about how unreal #11 [Biscoff, Nutella, whipped cream] and #29 are? I think I need a snack …
7. It’s no secret that Love, actually is my favourite Christmas movie [or maybe even generally favourite romantic movie]. Hence why I was really surprised – dare I say: shocked – when my mum who’d picked it up at the rental store told me she had to request the employee at the latter to dig it out of the back room. Yes, they’d in fact semi-‘retired’ the movie saying it was a bit older already after all. Seriously? The same store that has age old worn out video [not DVD!] cases sitting on their shelves?!
8. I didn’t mention starting yet another sticker book as part of a supermarket’s campaign. Too late, though, as the offer ends at the end of the year but still. Not to play favourites but I may or may not like this one [a lot] better than the last. Just one word: Disney.
9. My sister and her husband are staying at my parents until New Years’ Day so I’m hoping fore family game nights to come. And at least one movie night with me finally watching The Holiday – yes, I still haven’t gotten around to it.
10. Proof #129375940 that my grandma is the best …
Happiness inducing today: Christmas, obviously. But also my grandma sending me home with both a generous serving of her Rotkohl (!!!) and a jar of her homemade cherry jam [so so good].
Tell me about your Christmas celebrations!
How long are you usually keeping up the decorations after the holidays?