There we are on the second day of the new year already. I hope you enjoyed the day off yesterday as much as I did. It’s time to think out loud again today and I’m happy to join Amanda’s link-up once more. Are you ready for the first installment of randomness in 2014? There we go!
1. Did anybody else feel it was Sunday yesterday? That’s what holidays happening to fall into the middle of the week do to me. I swear I was feeling decidedly weekend-y already and still could do with another day off. Despite the short work week dare I say I’m …
2. While I wish I could to share my fun New Year’s Eve happenings with you I’ll have to admit it wasn’t all that exciting. My sister and her husband had invited some of their friends all of which I get along with quite well, too, as well as two of my cousins. It was a nice but – at the risk of sounding like a party pooper – it wasn’t my favourite NYE so far. Mostly sitting around only occasionally dancing little too uneventful for my liking :). I much preferred my New Year’s Eve the year before. Back then I celebrated at a friend’s house chatting and playing board games, eating chocolate and chips until midnight and then watch an hour-long battle of the fireworks in her neighbourhood.
3. On the upside I was on dessert duty [again] this year and had fun trying some new vegan recipes to share with everybody. Totally breaking the ‘rule’ of not serving guest anything you didn’t prepare before but – crossed fingers might have helped – they were well appreciated. My camera’s battery is currently recharging so I have no pictures to share right now. I promise I’ll post them soon.
4. Do you know if creativity is an inheritable trait? If yes I hope my mum passed it onto me and it just has yet to spark. She never ceases to amaze me with her simple but stunning decorating skills. Okay, I might be biased here but I still think it’s cute.
5. After we recently got into yahtzee playing when my sister and her husband were around my mum thought out loud about buying both a yahtzee set and Monopoly for us. That’s huge coming from her as a declared board game-averse person. I’d better offer getting the games before she reverses her decision …
6. My fondness of scented candles is quite possibly the best I could have had. After above-mentioned NYE party my parents’ guest apartment [where I’m currently living] smelled of burgers and beer. Don’t get me wrong: that’s pretty much to be expected at a party where those foods are served. However, I was not so fond of living with that scent permanently. Solution: the impulse purchase of a gingerbread-scented candle I’d made on Monday. Much better.
7. Money can’t buy happiness but fuzzy socks and that’s a first step. Can you believe I hadn’t owned a single pair prior to seeing them appear all over the blog world and purchasing some on Monday? Quite possibly the best investment during the last week of 2013. I got home all excited showing them to my family – I may or may not have quoted a certain movie 😉 and I’m sure Amanda approves.
8. Could there be a nicer surprise than the kindness of a stranger? Though not a resolution I intend to keep up sending snail mail in 2014. If you want a fast shipping it’s important to add the blue priority stickers – at least here in Germany. Only you don’t always get them when purchasing stamps. Imagine my delight when I bought four international stamps recently, asked for the stickers and got not only four but a whole bunch of them. Thanks to the clerk at the post office!
9. While at my grandparents’ during the holidays I didn’t bring any non-dairy milk so I prepared my morning oatmeal with water only though I usually use water and almond milk 50:50. Surprisingly enough I found I enjoyed the taste even more and have been keeping it that way since returning home. Even though the almond milk adds a nice creaminess I find the flavor of my add-ins to shine through more not using [too much of] it.
10. A new year means starting a new month in my planner and while I bought it long ago I didn’t have many appointments to add to it last year. Fingers crossed 2014 will provide lots of use for it!
Happiness inducing today: An overall great first day of the new year.
How did you spend New Year’s Eve?
What are some of your favourite [board] games?
Is anybody else ready for the weekend already, too?