Did anybody else notice it’s the 10th episode of Thinking out loud [at least in its link-up form] already? I don’t know about you but in our family significant birthday like this always were reason for a special celebration. Either way: Thanks for hosting this random fun day, Amanda! Here’s to many more weeks!
1. Every blogger knows the importance of props and background materials. Maybe it’s odd but recently I’ve found myself in a constant prop search modus. When I spot something that I think will work I’m curious to give it a try. In fact, I even transferred it to my mum in a way who now makes suggestions for what to use as props [which she called preps before – did I mention she’s cute:)?].
2. … and everybody [or so I assume] appreciates beautifully wrapped gifts. Enter my birthday and the gifts coming with it. I couldn’t really let those wrappers go to waste, right? The perfect low-cost new backgrounds for pictures to add to my collection. And no, I don’t think it was a coincidence polkadots made an appearance. My family really knows me well.
3. The gym. It really is a place to meet and watch the weirdest people. Sometimes an innocuous smile is understood as the invitation to talk another person’s ear off. Let me just tell you that thanks to an understanding smile to an older guy on the elliptical next to me I now know stories about basically every technical gadget he ever bought and sneaky sales pitches of a certain skillet manufacturer dating back to the 80s. Maybe I should choose the recipients of my smiles with a little more care?!
4. There are times when I should pay some more attention, though. Embarrassing to admit but true: I was out of my favourite chocolate earlier this week so naturally a quick trip to the grocery was in order. While I was at it I also got some more items for myself and my parents meaning I had a lot to carry back to the car afterwards. And it was only when unpacking at home – and checking multiple times in both my purse and the bags I’d brought along – that I noticed I was missing a single item: my chocolate. A sad night [yes, exaggerating a little here] and a lot of money spent for nothing. I obviously made up for it by buying two bars the next day.
5. It’s my last week at my parents’ before moving back into my apartment so I’m trying to spend as much time with them as possible. Which – due to both of them working – sadly isn’t much. However, when my mum wanted to watch her favourite crime thriller series – ‘Tatort’ for any German readers – I joined her just because it was another reason to spend another 1 1/2 hours with here. We changed things up for a little more fun, though, playing bingo. Just for anybody who hasn’t played bingo before or can’t think of a way to play it while watching a thriller, here’s how: we both wrote down 5 x 5 terms we hoped would appear throughout the movie like crime, murder, pregnant, the agents’ names, … Believe it or not but I was this close to winning – even with a double bingo. Next time.
6. Impulse purchases are truly the bane of my existence. But can you argue with another pair of fuzzy socks? The last ones have started to disintegrate already. That’s what you get for buying a cheap pair, I guess.
7. Will I ever stop taking the Disney quizzes? Maybe. Maybe not.
8. For all the other single ladies out there probably dreading the idea of spending tomorrow alone: Think about it differently. From what I’ve gathered the intention of Valentine’s Day isn’t making those of us currently not in a relationship sorry for themselves. It’s about love. And love doesn’t come in just one form. Read this great post if you need further encouragement to embrace single-dom. Additional bonus: you can keep all the chocolate for yourself. Or how about …
9. … keeping most to yourself but still sharing some with those you love. I might not have a valentine this year [or do I, GiGi 😉 ?!] but that doesn’t mean there weren’t any loved ones in my life. Like the above Chocolate Mousse Cake for my parents. Maybe I wasn’t altruistic all the way when making this. Just three words: chocolate whipped cream.
10. If you’re
spending Valentine’s Day alone celebrating yourself tomorrow and feel like a whole cake is just a little too much: Be back tomorrow for a sweet little single-serving dessert [shown in yesterday’s WIAW already] just in time for Davida’s Bake-Off.
Happiness inducing today: Chocolate mousse.
Keep in touch!
Have you ever played bingo before?
What’s your favourite chocolate? Dark, milk, white? Brand? I blame one of my grandma’s for getting me hooked on Lindt.
Do you have any weird gym stories to share, too?