Just a warning in advance: my mind has been all over the place lately and not in the cute scatterbrained way, either. Or maybe more like: simultaneously wishing time passed faster and wishing I could turn it back. Confusing much?! Today luckily is the right time and place for thinking out loud about whatever so I’ll share some random tidbits that would have appeared in past Thursday posts if they hadn’t been put on the back burner by some more serious thoughts I had. Luckily, Amanda is inviting any kind of thoughts – and today’s are randomness at its best.
1. Sometimes I forget how hard to understand humor can be when you’re not a native speaker. Just one example from yesterday: We all agree fruit flies are a plague, right? Because the situation has gotten almost unbearable in our kitchen I jokingly told my roommate we’d have to stop eating produce all the way if we wanted to get rid of the little beasts. She’s originally from Ecuador and while her German is pretty good she didn’t catch my drift and had a completely serious face when replying that, well, it really wasn’t possible. I promise I didn’t laugh – it’s cute.
2. Never will I do everything the same way everybody else does. In this case, though, I feel my makeshift-steaming basket was a pretty good idea. Because a) my kitchen is crowded enough already and b) I’m cheap. I need to save money where I can to keep up my supply of almond butter.
3. Just like I will always try to eat produce on its last legs unless it’s not edible anymore. And apparently I’m not alone there when it comes to broccoli… Or any produce. Campaigns like this one make me happy.
4 Not always but still a repeat offender in my Thursday posts is the mention of train travels. Last Tuesday happened to be one of those days again. And while I honestly would have enjoyed many other activities more I’ll admit I liked the forced unplugging. Because no, there was no option of charging my phone this time. Having one is still the lucky exception over here. Cautiously looked at my phone very sparingly only and can proudly say the battery was almost 70 per cent charged by the time I got home. I was just a smidgen proud of myself ;).
5. The time I didn’t spend looking at my phone gave me the chance to immerse myself into one of the books from the library. I recently saw the number of books I’m currently
hoarding having at home. I will never stop laughing at myself there. Unless I spent every minute of the next weeks with my nose hidden behind a book I wouldn’t be able to finish all of them before they’re due.
Sorry to any Nora Roberts fans out there but to say it with Shania Twain – does anybody remember that song?!: That don’t impress me much.* I still read a fair chunk of the book because I had no other option at hand. Somehow I’d expected it to be a regular love story but it there was too much of a fantasy character to it. I also didn’t find the story to make sense at times so this is a thumbs down from me.
* just like wrong grammar doesn’t impress me much
6. Sometimes I have a trend of picking up books that don’t lure me in from the library – lately being one oft those times. Can’t Chris Cleave please publish a new novel STAT?!
7. Whether you’re in a funk, bored or in need of ways to procrastinate the answer will always be: BuzzFeed. Apparently, this is where I’m supposed to spend a year abroad.
Well, I’ll keep it in mind as a closer second option because you already know my plans.
8. … and whichever mood you’re in: Disney has the right sound for that.
It feels odd posting this potpourri of randomness after the past weeks’ posts. But as – stealing this term from a blend – it’s a brain fudge day over here it was the best thing to do. Sometimes you’ve just got to trust there will always be an idea floating around so the Thinking out loud party never ends.
Happiness inducing today: Planning a game night with my neighbours.
Stay in touch!
Tell me a sometimes – always – never from your life!
Have you read any good books lately? I’m not into crime or science fiction but after I’ve recently only found good more serious non-fiction I wouldn’t mind a fun but not too dumb summer read so share your recommendations!
Which of the Disney songs do you [need to] listen to right now?