Everything starting with part one signal a follow-up so here’s the second slice of the epic food survey I got rolling last week. And just like last week I hope you’ll agree food has the abilty to make our days marvelous and – on grumpy days – bring a little oomph and happiness to them. So rather than telling you about the second part of my move – nobody ask me about the number of boxes needed to stash all of my belongings, okay?! – I’ll talk about food. Let’s get rolling!
1) What’s your favorite type of nut?
I like pretty much all nuts. Aside from..
2) What’s your least favorite type of nut?
Sorry to all pecan fiends but I don’t like those. And walnuts are similar so I usually pass on those, too.
3) What’s your favorite type of nut-butter?
It changes but I always need to have white almond butter on hand for all the tasty sweet treats and savoury recipes I can use it in.
4) Are you good with portion control when it comes to nuts or nut-butters?
Is anybody? I’m kind of glad I’m not anymore. Gone are the days of cutting up a huge apple with a meticulously measured teaspoon of cashew butter.
5) What’s your favorite recipe that involves nuts or nut-butters?
Amanda’s crispy cereal bars are a standby for me and I’ve been meaning to prepare another batch of my Chocolate Almond Caramel Bars again soon, too. For savoury fare I still enjoy my spaghetti squash bake a lot. The almond butter sauce adds great creaminess – no need of whipping up a more involved topping with dozens of ingredients.
6) Have you ever tried pea-butter or soynut butter?
We don’t have either of those over here but should I ever happen upon one of them I wouldn’t be opposed.
7) When was the last time you ate nuts?
Not actual nuts but nut butter: I’m sitting here with a jar of almond butter and a spoon right now that I’m composing this post. Talking about food makes me hungry.
8) Is anybody close to you allergic to nuts?
Not to hurt any allergics but fortunately not. I’d be super anxious to accidentially serve cross-contaminated food or eat nuts around them.
9) What’s your favorite way to use nut-butters?
Eat straight from a spoon. The perks of living on my own and not giving a second thought to double-dipping!
10) Do you think nuts are worth the calories?
Yes!!! Years ago my answer would likely have been less decided though I remember lugging around bags of trail mix even throughout my ED. Nutty girl.
1) Do you prefer chocolate or white milk?
White [unsweetened] non-dairy milk for me. When I first got into veganism I had a serious obsession with Alpro’s chocolate soy milk though I’ve never had store-bought dairy chocolate milk. Maybe because it wasn’t popular over here when I was a child?
2) What’s your favorite brand of yogurt?
Vegan: Alpro plain Yofu.
Dairy: Berchtesgadener Land Quark [our kind-of Greek yogurt].
3) Do you think you get enough calcium?
In between the amounts of fortified non-dairy milk and Greek or soy yogurt I eat I’d assume yes.
4) Where do you get the most calcium from (yogurt, cheese, milk, etc)?
Yogurt. Whether fortified soy or Greek – I consume a lot of both.
5) What’s your favorite type of cheese?
A newfound fondness is for Romadur. Soft brie-like cheese it is for me. Its creamy meltiness even when cold wins me over.
6) What’s your favorite way to eat cheese?
Not the biggest surprise if you’ve been reading for a while: in casseroles. If it wasn’t for those I wouldn’t miss cheese all that much.
7) What’s your favorite flavour of ice cream?:
No. I can’t ever choose one. I tried before and will go with mango as my current favourite fruity flavour still. The creamy flavour always depends on the offer I’m presented. I recently tried peanut caramel ice cream by a local creamery and wow, that was good.
8) When you eat oatmeal, do you make it with milk, or water?
Usually water. It’s not an ED issue though I’d been wondering about that, too. But there’s something about banana-sweetened oats cooked in milk that makes them too sweet (?) for me. The exception are banana-less oatmeal puddings. I always use milk for extra creaminess when preparing them.
9) What kind of milk do you drink?
Coconut is my favourite and in fact the only one I drink plain. I’m not a milk drinker. Again maybe because I didn’t grow up drinking it other than when my mum made her hot chocolate from scratch as a special treat on the weekends?
10) What’s your favorite thing to do with cottage cheese?
Eat plain when I feel like having a savoury snack or use it for frozen yogurt.
1) Are you vegetarian or vegan?
I’m lacto-vegetarian, largely vegan, so I decided to skip the remaining questions from this category. You don’t want me to answer every question with “I don’t eat meat”, right?
1) What do you put in your coffee?
I don’t drink coffee [yet?].
2) What do you put in your tea?
Nothing. My favourite is Yogi tea which is flavourful enough on its own.
3) Do you like the taste of water?:
If we’re talking sparkling water: yes. Water straight from the tap isn’t my favourite.
4) Do you drink enough water everyday?
Absolutely. In between sparkling water and tea my water intake is high. Insert running to the toilet … often. At least that means getting more breaks at work, right?!
5) What’s your favorite flavour of diet soda?
6) Do you think you drink too much diet soda?
Guilty. It’s a bad habit I’ve been trying to kick multiple times before.
7) Do you prefer to eat or drink your calories?:
Eat. I need something to chew on to be satisfied. That’s why smoothies – unless laden with toppings – don’t appeal to me.
8) Do you drink energy drinks?
A loud no. Just the smell of Red Bull makes me gag.
9) What’s your favorite smoothie recipe?
Does ‘Thin Mint’ banana softserve with peppermint extract and cocoa count?? Because that’s the closest I’ve gotten with smoothies by now.
10) Do you flavour your water (lemon, crystal lite, etc)?
1) How often do you eat something unhealthy?
Labels are for grandma’s jam jars [though, thinking about it, mine doesn’t actually label hers]. Don’t label food.
For the past months I’ve been making a conscious effort to let go of labeling foods. It has no positive impact on our eating experience and if anything will lower our enjoyment and increase feelings of guilt. So if we’re talking about how often I eat refined sugar/ sweets/ storebought savoury snacks: daily. Some days more, some days less. I still choose mindfully and won’t buy anything laden with E numbers, two dozen kinds of sugar or lots of ingredients I can’t pronounce. Long story short: I’d say I eat nutritious food for the most part with some ‘play food‘ [borrowing this term from Intuitive Eating] thrown in.
2) Do you prefer a sweet or a salty treat?
Generally sweet but it really depends on the situation. I’m more likely to stock bars of chocolate than bags of chips, though.
3) What’s your favorite salty treat?
Erdnussflips, tortilla chips or pretzel sticks.
4) What’s your favorite sweet treat?
Chocolate on a daily basis. Ice cream when I’m out with friends because I enjoy it much more with others around.
5) What’s your favorite brand of chocolate bar?
I think this one is obvious to any regular reader: my
heart money belongs to Lindt. My grandma on my dad’s side is to blame for that obsession instilled in childhood already. See, I didn’t even have a choice.
6) When was the last time you went out to eat?
My mum and I ate at an all-vegan restaurant around the corner of where I lived on the day of my move.
7) What did you order?
They serve all food buffet-style so I got a nice plate with a bit of almost everything. Vegetable curry, vegan goulash, a quinoa dish, red rice, … It was awesome and the first time in ages I ate the whole plate without an ounce of guilt. It’s a pity I won’t be able to go back [or at least not in a long time].
8) Do you tend to binge on unhealthy foods around your house?
Rarely. I wouldn’t consider these once-in-a-blue-moon happenings binges but satisfying cravings I [un]intentionally ignored for too long before. It still happens at times.
9) Chips or popcorn?
Tortilla chips [to keep up with the corn theme].
10) What’s your favorite flavour/brand of chips?
Lorenz. Which I’m sure all of you will know. Not. 😉
Happiness-inducing today: Talking to my grandma on the phone. It had been a long while since we last talked and we ended up chatting forever. All while walking in the evening sunshine.
Stay in touch!
Tell me …
What’s your favorite recipe using nuts or nut butters?
Do you prefer oatmeal prepared with milk or water? If milk: which kind is your favourite?
How often do you eat ‘play foods’?
What are your favourite treats?