Just like that we’re kicking off the last week of January. While still in disbelief of that fact – and the one it’s my birthday on Friday – I couldn’t think of a better way to start it than by joining Meg once again. Her Week in Review is what inspired another post that will be going online later this week. No further hints on that now, though, as this post already ended up being on the wordier side. Here’s a little recap of the past seven days in my life.
- The most exciting news first: I became an aunt! Eeee! As tempting as it is I’ll spare you the gushing about how adorable my little nephew is – especially as I didn’t get a chance to meet him in person yet. [insert break to look at the picture my sister sent me via Whatsapp] Fingers crossed that’ll happen next weekend. I. can’t. wait.
- I published three posts yet again. It’s a good number despite being uneven. Not a fan of that last fact but this is a good blogging balance for me at the moment. While I can’t make any promises with the current internet and laptop situation I’ll try to stay consistent here. With this post published and another one drafted for Wednesday/Thursday plus the usual Sunday link lovin’ it looks like I’ll be able to keep it up this week.
- Honesty time [nobody’s perfect]: Getting this post up and ready came at the expense of half a bar of chocolate and a few nerves plus swearing in the process. A fussy laptop crashing about 20+ times during editing the images and then importing them to WordPress made me want to cry. Instead, I broke out the Lindt and peanut butter. Ironically, all that fussing about with a sweet post left me craving kale like no other – so kale it was for lunch. That whole talk about finding balance intuitively is so true. Now I just need to remind myself of it in moments of doubt.
- The anxiety was worth it, though, as those sweet little morsels got accepted by Foodgawker. Maybe all those broken dishes were worth it in the end?
- Because a lovely lady reminded me to include these tasks: replied to blog post comments mostly in time. Embarrassingly, this is an area I still need to work on but feel I’ve gotten better about lately. It’s not that I wouldn’t appreciate every single comment – I really do – but I’m usually at work when my posts go live so can’t reply until hours later and by the time I’m home the urge to multitask sets in and … you might guess how that ends. I’m working on it, promise.
- I faced what must have been the most nerve-wracking/fear-of-failure-inducing moment of the week when my co-teacher for the German classes didn’t appear. She’s a trained teacher and knows all the tricks to successful lessons [and how to handle wild little boys]. Handling five children who speak your language? Possible when you give them work assignments and they actually understand what you want them to do. Five children with different degrees of German language skills all of whom would be best off in one-on-one lessons? By far not an easy feat. I managed for half an hour until my colleague appeared after all. Turns out she hadn’t heard her alarm and only woke up when I tried to call her. Keeping my fingers crossed this won’t happen again.
- Not only kept my orchid alive over the past months but got it to bloom again. Heureka! Admittedly, I’m not the best plant mum so I doubt this is entirely due to my own doing but the fact is showing beautiful flowers again is all that counts, right?
- Survived two appointments at the dentist’s though only the second one is worth mentioning. Anesthesia is a fine invention for the time you’re sitting in the chair of horror, yes. But walking around with half of your mouth numbed for four more hours afterwards and feeling you looked like Kermit lessens my appreciation if its power. Whew.
- Watched a movie with my mum yesterday. Verdict: you don’t need to watch “Kiss the cook”. Trust me on this one.
- With it being my birthday week I treated myself to this delightful Coconut Almond Spread the German vegan scene is going crazy about. It’s sweet and akin to those Raffello truffles but coming along with an ingredient list that – while not deserving of the “healthy” claim – reads a lot nicer than those of the formers’. Pictured alongside here is the sweet belated Christmas card my long-time pen pal from the US mailed me.
- Stopped being lazy and did a through clean-up of my apartment. Meaning I didn’t just clean it but mopped the floors, too. I know, I know. But sometimes I just do everything else and leave the floors aside if they’re not super sticky.
- Speaking of lazy or rather not: I kept up my daily workout video routine. Compared to what everbody else in the blogging world does this is ridiculous little but better than nothing to me. If I could I’d opt for more intense and interesting workouts, too, but for now this is a nice way of keeping up a routine.
wrap week in review for me and I’d better make a beeline for my bed after scheduling this post. The upcoming week won’t be any easier with a lack of sleep [oops].
Happiness-inducing today: The weather allowing for a nice long-ish walk. No fear of slipping or freezing my fingers off while outside.
Stay in touch!