Today’s Week in Review is going to be short – and hopefully sweet – which I hope you’ll excuse as I’m quickly writing this post before enjoying the last few hours of her stay with my sister and the baby. They’ve been staying with us since Thursday night and it’s been a much appreciated break from the usual sounds and scents of life – hence the title and theme you’ll see in a minute. Thank you once again to Meg whose daily life is very baby-centered these days, too.I can’t deny I’m already looking forward to the latest pictures of Ave so let’s get this started!
Only a few snippets of what I did during the past week: I …
- Worked three days only thanks to a public holiday [Himmelfahrt]. Three packed days they were.
Sounds: hectic voices, occasionally a little louder than would feel necessary.
Scents: sterile. Birch trees when the colleague I’m sharing an office with opened the windows. Technically a nice scent … If it didn’t send me into insane poll allergy sneeze attacks. Spring, what are you doing to me?!
- Published three blog posts one of which was a recipe for a delicious snack that’s already a new family favourite.
Sounds: my current good mood Spotify playlist. I highly recommend a slice of this* for your ears if Monday has you feeling like …
*yes, I’m aware of the actual meaning of this title …
Scents: freshly baked Fruit and Nut Quinoa Clusters. In fact, I have a batch in the oven as I’m typing this. Not to tooth my own horn but with even my dad’s approval I’d say it’s good good food.
- Did the usual household tasks: cleaning. Emptying and loading the dishwasher every day. My parents’, too. Some laundry.
- Spent Thursday out and about with my mum, sister and my current crush [proud aunt moments: a million]. We visited a few exhibitions by local artists and designers.
Smells: fresh flowers. Baked vegetables and rice. Baby. No, really, this is a specific scent and unfortunately very hard to describe – any help, Meg? Scented candle makers should honestly consider adding “baby” into their portfolios 😉 – it’s a happy-making scent and one I couldn’t get enough of this past week.
Visited a new only temporarily opened restaurant on said trip. While I didn’t order anything – they only serve burgers [you know it] and I wasn’t hungry, either – I snagged some of my sister’s fries and homemade ketchup that came with the Halloumi burger she ordered. Not bad. So I think my issue with condiments might be mostly limited to the storebought kinds.
- Went on many walks, including a short one with my dad. Things still aren’t better but we actually met by accident when I’d gone on a morning walk on Sunday and he’d headed out on a walk with the baby, too. It was really nice since a baby to look at and talk to is a surefire way to prevent arguments or even harsh words.
- Scents: fresh air. Canola fields. Freshly baked rhubarb cake upon our return.
- Sat out on the patio with my family one night. This brings back a lot of memories and I’m hoping for more of these nights to come this summer.
Sounds: the baby phone’s alert interrupting our conversation once. Or actually: the baby phone app’s alert- there really is an app for everything these days, no? Also: laughter. Good times.
.. .and with that I’m already off to get some more baby snuggles in. Because they’re making me so so happy.
Happiness-inducing today: Would you be very mad if I used that one again? I promise it’ll change again come tomorrow :).