Once more I was tempted to skip writing a Week in Review at all as things went well until Wednesday – and then my sister and little P. were waiting for me when I got home after work on Thursday. The rest, as they say, was history. /family time. Well, for the most part at least. Truth be told I felt bad for hardly getting a thing done when they were here. It felt like time was passing in the blink of an eye, probably faster. Laundry*? Cleaning my fridge? Meal prep? None of that happened. Guilt level? High. The question is why I can’t fully appreciate the truly wonderful time I spent with my family. Especially now that my sister isn’t visiting that often anymore I should literally call it a
day weekend and not get stressed over to-dos.
*granted, this was also because I’m not the only one using the machine so couldn’t use it at all times plus sun hours for outside drying have been limited
Yet I struggle with calling quality time an accomplishment. When my sister said she expected me to send her off with some homemade sweet treats in a playfully disappointed way I felt genuinely bad and considered a late night baking session. I’m not writing this asking for sympathy but because it’sthe only honest way of summing up my feelings about the week. Don’t get me started on forgetting to take a single picture for the blog. Which, thinking about it now, though, is at least proof I truly valued the short time I got to spend with my sister and P.
And because I value your time, too, let’s dive into some of what I -did- manage to get done after all. Don’t forget to share your recent accomplishments in the comments, too!
- Worked five days. Same old, same old. Aside from that one day when my stomach decided to make use of its veto card regarding breakfast. I still worked some more after that unfortunate incident because I was feeling better and didn’t want my colleagues to be laden with extra work.
- Wrote three blog posts, published two.
- Wrote a post for one of the recipes I told you I’d created in the past week. And close before it was ready to go online I noticed I hadn’t uploaded or edited any pictures for that but the other of the two. Face. Palm.
- Ran errands on Saturday. It’s my one big shopping trip as I only get to use a car that day and as much as I like riding my bike it’s not the best vehicle for a big shop. Especially not when getting a six-bottle pack of mineral water [or two huge bags of apples in addition … ]
- Cleaned out my portemonnaie [using the German/French term because that’s just what I like better]. Think old receipts, shopping list and the likes. This might be embarrassing if I’m the only one who has that bad habit.
- Went to bed earlier several nights and as a result felt a smidgen better in the morning. Just a little, though, as I simply am not a morning person.
- Bought lunch – really just a pastry as that’s what she likes – for a colleague. It might not be what I’d choose but I will neither force healthy choices onto anybody nor criticize their current ones. Just a thought here.
- Kept my orchid not only alive but got it into a magnificent bloom that rivals my mum’s again. Never mind that she has at least ten to take care of …
- Wrote two emails I’d meant to send off for quite a while already.
- Went cow-watching. It’s not like I hadn’t walked past the herd of cows close to our house many times before. But with P. in tow it was an altogether different experience – watching him watch the cows was adorable – also opening up a good conversation with my sister. In fact, I felt closer to her than I had in a longer while this weekend. One of those moments I never want to forget.
- Prepared peanut butter. The addiction is still going strong.
- In a frenetic moment of feeling terribly unaccomplished cleaned my apartment probably not polished but the sinks are clean the floor isn’t dirty anymore. It’s a start.
- Meal prepped after all. I was worried it’d get super stressful but I managed surprisingly well. Maybe I need to be short on time more often?
Looking at it now I’m surprised I still got to cross more than I expected off my to-do list. Which I’ll thank both this link-up [think: ‘I need to get some things done to fill that WiR post!’] and my ability to work better under pressure for. It’s always been that way. Stress in excess might not be healthy but a little bit of it at least for me means increased productivity.
If you made it through all of my rambling here: thank you! I wish I could offer you a cookie now but alas, baking didn’t happen ;). Happy Monday!
Happiness-inducing today: Spending time with P. and my sister as well as crossing a few more items off my to-do list, too.