It can’t seriously be Monday again already. If you’re asking me the weeks pass by even faster towards the end of the year. I wonder if daylight savings and the decreased number of hours that actually feel like ‘day’ day create this feeling. Thoughts on this?
Because I once again can’t offer many big accomplishments I’ll sprinkle in some little good deeds I did for others. Sharing these I’m not asking for acknowledgement but hope that we can encourage each other to do more – however small – favours for the people in our lives. So please share some of the things you did for others recently in the comments. At least to me doing what I know is helping others feels the most rewarding – and is the most happiness-inducing which you know is always a win in my book. Let’s get started with another Week in Review hosted by Ave and Meg!
During the past week I …
Worked five days. The most uplifting part of these was talking to my new boss [we’ve been having two since July] about some tasks that are mostly my responsibility. They are changes to our previous documentation system and still taking a lot of fiddling around with. It was nice to hear my input appreciated and leading to another change that will hopefully make work easier/faster in the future.
Published a Week in Review and some really good links that I recommend checking out if you didn’t get a chance yesterday. Sundays aren’t always best for blog reading so why not catch up during the week?
Baked a batch of my healthy Maple Buckwheat Granola for a friend’s birthday. She lives a bit further away so I planned on mailing it but I found out her mum living close by was going for a birthday visit and she graciously offered to take along my gift. With this safe option I spontaneously added some of my last homemade Nutella, too. I should get bonus points for this as you won’t find me sharing nut butter often😉.
- Cleaned my apartment including the floors. Which reminds me I still need to wash the mop … oops.
- Stopped by a bakery after work to pick up a quick lunch for the colleague who had to stay longer. She asked if I was heading into town in anyway which I hadn’t intended. But it was nice being able to do her a favour even if that meant getting home a little earlier when I …
- Walked home from work on Thursday. I hadn’t done this since summer as there never was an opportunity and certainly not with the recent drop of temperatures. Thursday afternoon, though, wasn’t too cold and I really enjoyed the 30 minutes out in the fresh air.
- Skipped my Friday evening workout to have a movie night with my mum. Sitting for two hours instead of moving is still not that easy for me but a) I was tired, b) it’s a regular thing for other people and c) we don’t get to spend time with each other like that often. We watched ‘Me before you‘ and to be honest: I didn’t like it. Before you judge: the book was amazing but the movie doesn’t do it justice at all. It’s a flat, at times annoying romantic chick flick. We’re hoping to watch ‘The Danish Girl’ when my sister comes to visit next weekend and I have high hopes for that one.
- Burnt my finger. Okay, no, the real accomplishment here is obviously the reason why: I made a huge batch of Nutella. And because I wanted it to be perfect I rubbed many a hazelnuts’ skin off with my fingers. The towel rub didn’t do much so I had to. It’s a rather small price to pay for a ridiculously good nut butter, right? [As I’m typing this I do think I should put on a band-aid, though …]
- Ran some errands for my parents. I saw one of their favourite chocolates on offer so bought some of that and called my mum to get any other bits and pieces she might have forgotten to get during the week. I should clarify I didn’t pay for all of these myself that day but do on occasion.
- Read some really interesting articles and in another book. I need to up my reading game a bit more again, though.
- Helped a lady running errands to find some products. I guess shopping at the same stores and browsing around the aisles regularly has the benefit of knowing where to find what pretty well. Now if that’s good or embarrassing I’m not sure😉.
- Talked all things chickpea to a mother-daughter duo standing in line behind me at the store. This started out by the mother – looking at the many cans of chickpeas I’d put on the conveyor – telling her daughter she had lots of those at home, too, but no clue what to do with them. Being both a blogger and chickpea aficionado I was happy to provide them with plenty of ideas that especially the chickpea-savvy daughter – she was in her thirties so clearly living on her own – was intrigued by.
I also worked on some blog posts but might hold these back for some more time. The reason – and also generally why I’ve been posting less – is that they very likely are touching controversial issues. Only it’s hard to write other posts when these are the topics churning in your mind. However, I do have an alternative post idea that I might work on tonight still so hopefully I’ll get back to three posts this week again. Time will tell.
Looking back it was a good week. Not exciting, not enough sleep – I’m not giving up hope, though – and a plan with a friend fell through but there also were many nice little moments and focusing on these is so important. That being said I’m also looking forward to a few things I have planned for the next week which isn’t the worst perspective [even though a little change at work might make that harder but again: we’ll focus on all the good things here]. I hope your week was sprinkled with happy moments, too, and here to a …
Don’t forget to tell me your happenings and accomplishments from the past week!
Have you read and/or watched ‘Me before you’? If both: how did you like the movie?