They say there’s a time and place for everything. If you’ve been reading for a while you know I agree link-ups make blogging schedules easier. But a) I have a little more serious post planned for Thursday and b) Arman isn’t settling on a specific day with the randomness of Spill it Sundays – despite the name making you assume elsewise. So spilling it on Tuesday it is. For once I’ll play along with the rules and not add a sixth fact to every category.
Five facts about….your family!
1. We’re three children and three times three years apart. My brother is [28 going on] 29 later this year, my sister is 26 and I’m the 23-year-old Nesthäkchen or laat lammetjie as I now know thanks to this girl. Being the youngest had its advantages and disadvantages.
2. Which just brought me to the sponatenous conclusion that we were born in a period of nine years which is coincidentially the age difference between my parents, too. Yes, it’s little things like that making me smile.
3. My family is living in an old farm house in the countryside and I never wished for growing up in a city a single time. Country bumpkin and proud of it.
4. Both my mum and dad grew up in areas were certain dialects are spoken but raised us children to speak standard/ High German.
5. All of us enjoy cycling so much we usually packed our bikes wherever we traveld and even went on several cycling-only holidays.
Five facts about…your childhood!
1. For the first years of my life I shared a room with my brother and sister. Fun times. Only not when they had loft beds and you were the one sleeping on a ground level matress.
2. Luckily, I was the one getting that [biggest of all] children’s rooms once my siblings moved to other rooms of the house. It all evens out in the long term.
3. I was clearly a girly girl growing up: my best friend and I would spend hours playing Barbie. Usually with her Barbies because she had about three times as many as me.
4. I used to ride horses for many years. In fact, my mum had two horses of her own but nowadays she’s the only one still riding.
5. My favourite TV show was Ocean Girl – an Australian one about a girl swimming with a whale. It was the reason I drew nothing but humpback whales for a while.
Five facts about…you + school!
1. From 1st to 13th grade I went to three different schools: elementary school, middle school [only grades 5 and six] and then grammar school. This is rather unusual as it’s nowadays the norm over here to switch from elementary directly to grammar or any other kind of secondary school. My year was one of the last to still visit middle school.
2. My brother once did my maths homework for me because I thought it was too difficult – in second grade. Since then I’ve come to maybe not like numbers but be okay with handling them to an extent 😀 . I’ve always been better with words.
3. That being said you won’t be surprised my favourite subjects were languages. English was my first choice examination subject for the Abitur [final exams in grade 13].
4. While I got along with most of my teachers some had rather eccentric personalities. One I liked and who furthered my wish to travel the world was my 9th grade English teacher who had just come back from Australia where he’d worked for years. Actually, he has settled on the Gold Coast now and invited me to visit him and his wife should I ever make my way over there. Tempting.
5. My least favourite subjects: history and PE. Don’t ask.
Five facts about...you + travel! – Side note: This coincides pretty well with my recent travel ramblings, huh?
1. The most embarrassing fact first: I’ve yet to travel anywhere outside of Europe. I know. I’m not proud of it but I keep telling myself I’m still young so there’s time left to see the world – and I will.
2. So far I’ve been to England, France [multiple times], Greece, Ireland and Spain.
3. Whenever I travel it’s most likely by public transport – or more specifically: trains. I don’t own a car so unless I’m with my parents or somebody else owning a car you’ll find me on trains – huge bags or suitcases in tow for all the books and food I need.
4. Environmental aspects aside I really enjoy flying but haven’t gotten a chance to do it too often yet. Just the thought of the plane taking up speed in the manoeuvring area makes me want to board one again soon.
5. This might be a stretch but I can’t talk about traveling without saying it: I’m really awesome at packing. That is if you consider taking half of your wardrobe and bookshelf with you on even a short trip good packing light.
Five facts about…your eating style!
1. The long known fact first: I’m a vegetarian eating mostly vegan and have been since 2013. Wait… has it really been 11 years already?! Funny to think it has when two years in my mum still thought I was just going through “a phase”. Just like the phase when you used to think tattoo chokers were trendy – only I’m still not eating meat anymore and don’t plan to while those horrid necklaces have long made their way into the trash.
2. Not a single day passes by without me eating almond butter. Unless I run out but I make an effort not to let that happen. In fact, I’m due for a stock-up today.
3. Get ready for a shocking confession: I don’t like any of the typical condiments. Ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, … – I don’t like them. Yes, I was the odd child growing up who’d eat her French fries plain and get Chicken Nuggets without any kind of dip at McDonald’s. Actually, I think you were required to pick a dip so I got sweet & sour sauce but never used it.
4. I’m not one to say no to free food. As long as it’s vegetarian/ vegan and doesn’t contain any nasty ingredients I’ll take a bite or grab a handful.
5. Looking at that Lindt picture: I have a slight obsession with that company’s chocolate. I blame my grandma for instilling this because she’d mail me a bar of Lindor – the red one to be specific – for every single birthday during my childhood. Way to raise a picky chocolate eater.
Happiness inducing today: Wise and confirming words from a Blend.
Stay in touch!
Bloglovin’: Let’s get living
It’s your turn: Tell me at least one fact about you from every category!